Annual Signature Members Show
Hosted by The Guild of Boston Artists
162 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116
January 30, 2021 - February 28, 2021
Hours: Tues-Sat, 10:30 am to 5:30 pm
Sunday 12:00 to 4:00 pm
Over $4,000 in Awards
Jill Anderson - Valley Farm After Rain
Lisa Bailey - The Crossing
Peter Bass - Brigham Circle
Robin Beckwith - Autumn Tapestry
Seth, Berkowitz - Portsmouth NH
Julie Blanchard - Frozen Woods
Winifred Breines - Mustard, Lemon Squeezer, Dishtowels
Terri Brooks - Night Skiing
Anne Palms Chalmers - A Walk in Winter Fog
JoAnne Chittick - Meeting House Shadows
Lilly Cleveland - Snow Shed
Tony Conner - Old and Weary
Frank Costantino - Ready for Launch - Ack
Heather Crowley - Barn Owl Zen
Ann Trainor Domingue - Golden Hour Moment
Diane Dubreuil - Coos Canyon
Paul Dudek - Misty Fjord Morning
Evelyn Dunphy - A Mauzy Morning
James, Earl - Freighters Passing Near Soo Locks
Elizabeth Fawcett - ...and Then Came Spring
Jon Fish - Chicken
Paul George - Path of Light
Marla Greenfield - Pear Shaped II
paula grimes - A Merry Meal
Wendy Hale - Turtle Cairn / No Social-Distancing Needed
Marion Hall - Dune on Crane Beach
Steve Hamlin - Throwback - Plainfield Ox Team
Jack Haran - Pier from Island Inn
ann hart - Canna Cabana
Yvonne Hemingway - Early Bird Gets The Seed
Mary Hilt - The Triumph of the Armenian Diaspora
Stephen Holland - The Swallow Barn
Nancy Howell - Looking West
Margaret, Khorey - Jack
Andrew Kusmin - Simple Fare
Janet Laird-Lagassee - Leafed Pear
Bill Lane - Red Light
Richard LaRoche - Remembering Mark
Carolyn Latanision - Another Day
Steven Lush - Brothers
Jeanne Maguire Thieme - Soldier On
Marija McCarthy - Old Chicken Coop
Paul McMahan - Linekin Bay
Joan McPherson - Painting on Horn's Hill, Monhegan
Sally Meding - Across the Finish Line
Robert Mesrop - A New Beginning
Deborah Miller - Beach Walk, Plymouth
Linda Murray - Backyard Beauty
Yale Nicolls - Elm Bank Lilies
Robert Noreika - Through the Salt Marsh
Robert O'Brien - Faded and Tattered
Helene Pierce - Vegetable fiesta
Louis Rizzo - The Coast
Marjorie Rizzo - Abundance
Betty Rogers - This Is Iceland
Irena Roman - Sisters
Harry Ruddock III - Old Red
Nan Rumpf - Moving Day
Richard Sabin - Infinity on Vineyard Sound
Dawn Scaltreto - Bird Watching
Frances Schreiber - Metsavana
Katie Sluder - Author's Loft
Kristin Stashenko - Cafe Dining
Kate Sullivan - Dartmouth Street and Commonwealth Ave, Approaching Spring
Marilyn Sswift - Street Corner Gloucester
Gary Tucker - Rain Falls, NYC
Michael E. Vermette - Hitching The Team
P. Anthony Visco - Trawler Cheyanne
Nancy Walton - Vermont Winter - Evening Light
June Webster - Dubrovnik
Joyce Wood - Pumpkin
Karol Wyckoff - Washerwomen
Nelson Ziegler - Bushel in the Snow
*Please note: provisionally accepted work must meet framing requirements to be included in this show. Please read the requirements carefully and be sure to follow them closely.
Juror of Selection and Awards: Donald Demers
Don Demers is an accomplished illustrator and fine artist. His credits include “Fellow” of the American Society of Marine Painters, an elected member of both the Guild of Boston Artists and the California Art Club, and a signature member of Plein Air Painters of America. We are honored and fortunate to have Don as our juror this year. www.donalddemers.com
DUE TO COVID-19 THERE WILL BE NO WORKSHOP, DEMOS OR GALLERY TALKS.
THERE WILL BE A VIRTUAL AWARDS RECEPTION, SUN, FEB. 7 AT 3:00 PM.
Further details will be posted as they become available.
Important dates and times
|January 4, 2021||Submission deadline (via Smarter Entry only)|
|January 10||Notification of Acceptance|
|January 21||Shipped work due|
|January 27||Hand delivery of paintings, 10:30am-2:30pm (subject to change)|
|January 30||Notification awards (on NEWS website)|
|January 30||Show opens|
|February 7||Virtual Awards Ceremony, 3:00pm|
|February 28||Show closes. Pick up paintings, 4:30-6pm (subject to change)|
|March 1||Pick up paintings 11am-2pm (subject to change)|
|Shipped work will be returned as soon after March 2 as feasible|
White and off-white mats only. All work must be framed under acrylic (Plexiglas). Wires must be attached so that they are not visible when the work is hanging. No sawtooth hangers allowed. Mat, frame and glazing package must have a professional look and be in “as if new” condition. Work not conforming to regulations WILL NOT BE EXHIBITED. Note - Size limitation of 36 inches in width, based on outside measurement of frame, 36” and not a fraction more.
DELIVERY OF SUBMITTED WORK
- Hand delivered artwork must be received at the Guild of Boston Artists, 162 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116 on Wednesday, January 27th, 2021,10:30am-2:30pm. (assigned times TBA) Due to Covid precautions there will be special drop off and pickup instructions. These details will be provided to all accepted artists. Complete the label that is at the end of this prospectus and attach it to the hanging wire of the painting.
- Shipped works must be received at the Guild of Boston Artists, 162 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116 by January 21, 2021. Be sure to attach the completed label to your hanging wire. A prepaid return shipping label must be included.
Note: Except for mailed work, please deliver your work unwrapped.
- Open to all NEWS Signature Members, one painting per person.
- Painting must have been completed within the last five years.
- All work must be for sale and meet framed size limitations. No P.O.R.’s(Price on Request), no N.F.S.’s.
- All work must be painted with aqua media including watercolor, acrylic, casein, egg tempera, gouache and inks on paper or synthetic paper such as Yupo; collage with only aqua media is acceptable.
- All work must be original: no photocopies, color laser prints, multiple prints, pastels or computer generated work.
- Work may not have been created in a class or workshop under a teacher’s supervision.
- Work may not be withdrawn early.
- No changes in pricing or catalog information can be made after submission.
- The Screening Committee has the right to refuse any painting that does not meet the stated specifications or is not accurately represented by the image submitted. As a signature member of NEWS it is an honor to exhibit in the SMS, therefore it is expected that you submit your best work, framed in a professional manner.
- Paintings may not have been previously exhibited in a NEWS show or at the Guild of Boston Artists.
- Review guidelines and regulations here
SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
- Enter online via Smarter Entry
- Submit your image as JPG, TIF or PNG files not greater than 4MB. The longer side should be 1,200 pixels or greater (2000px recommended).
- Paintings will be sold at the price originally stated by the artist. No changes will be accepted. Please edit your entries carefully.
- Only one image may be submitted.
- $30 entry fee through Smarter Entry.
- No CD entries, no slides.
- 2021 dues must be paid in advance: https://www.newenglandwatercolorsociety.org/Join_Renew/Signature_Dues.html
- Submitted JPGs must accurately represent the painting. An online gallery will be created from these images. Please be aware that the quality of your image is particularly important this year as many visitors will opt to view the show on-line due to Covid precautions. Awards will be based on the actual painting that is delivered to the Guild of Boston Artists.
- NEWS and the Guild of Boston Artists reserve the right to photograph paintings or use digital images for publicity purposes.
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE
- Accepted artists will be posted on the NEWS website January 10, 2021
- Works not accepted may be picked up by appointment at the Guild.
Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 am to 5:30 pm, Sunday 12:00 to 4:00 pm; closed Monday.
A 40% commission will be retained by NEWS on all sales.
RETURN OF WORK
- Work must be picked up at the Guild of Boston Artists, 162 Newbury Street, Boston, MA on February 28, 2021, 4:30-6pm or March 1, 2021, 11am-2pm.( assigned times TBA)
- Shipped works will be re-packed and returned to the artist after March 2, 2021.
Due to Covid there will be no workshop
While all reasonable care will be taken, the New England Watercolor Society and the Guild of Boston Artists will not accept liability for any loss or damage.
DUE TO COVID-19 THERE WILL BE NO WORKSHOP, DEMOS OR GALLERY TALKS, and NO AWARDS RECEPTION
Submissions are through Smarter Entry! See below for details.